AW: New warning code for missing FROM relations

От Zeugswetter Andreas SB
Тема AW: New warning code for missing FROM relations
Дата
Re: AW: New warning code for missing FROM relations  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> > >    SELECT *
> > >       INTO TABLE tmp1
> > >       FROM tmp
> > >       WHERE onek.unique1 < 2;
> > >    NOTICE:  Adding missing FROM-clause entry for table onek
>
> > Is is worth adding yet another setting, eg. set sql92=strict, which
> > would disallow such flagrant breaches of the standard?
>
> SQL provides for facility called the SQL Flagger, which is
> supposed to do
> exactly that. This might sound like an interesting idea but
> in order for
> it to be useful you'd have to maintain it across the board,
> which sounds
> like a major head ache.
>
> The irony in the given example is that the SELECT INTO
> command isn't in
> the standard in the first place so you'd have to create all sorts of
> double standards. Certain things would be "extensions", certain things
> would be "misuse". And for all it's worth, we have no idea
> which is which.
>
> If you want to throw about warnings about "probable" coding
> errors and the
> like one *must* be able to switch them off. Either something is right,
> then you shut up. Or it's wrong, then you throw an error. Or
> you're not
> sure, then you better leave it up to the user.

Yes, only Bruce and I are of the opinion that it *is* an Error, and I guess
we want some consensus.
The notice is imho of the sort: notice this syntax is going to be disallowed
soon.

Andreas