Re: [HACKERS] Associative Operators? (Was: Re: [NOVICE] Out of f rying pan, into fire)

От Zeugswetter Andreas IZ5
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Associative Operators? (Was: Re: [NOVICE] Out of f rying pan, into fire)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

> >> I tried to create a C function to overcome this but noticed that if any
> >> parameter in my C function is NULL then the C function always returns
> NULL.
> >> I saw some references in the archives about this issue but was unable
> >> determine where it was left.  What is the status of this issue?

Yes, this is current behavior.
> Would a compromise be to add DECODE and NVL ?

The Standard has the more flexible function COALESCE, which is already
implemented in postgresql.
Simply say coalesce(field_that_can_be_null,value_to_return_insteadof_null)

Andreas