AW: [HACKERS] Problems with >2GB tables on Linux 2.0

От Zeugswetter Andreas IZ5
Тема AW: [HACKERS] Problems with >2GB tables on Linux 2.0
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
    > and solving the data distribution as a separate effort.

I also think, that this issue can not be solved with splitting the table
extents
to different directories. I would leave that issue to a Tablespace
implementation.
What I like though is the idea that all table files have the extent number
in the
filename, starting with tabname.1, and not having tabname (1. extent)
tabname.1
(2. extent).

Asside from that, I think anybody having a (non blob) table of 2-4 Gb and
above
should start thinking of a redesign of his data model. Often the solution is
to have
e.g. one table per year and a union all view, so that clients can access all
data
without even noticing. I think smart rewrite rules can be implemented, so
that updates,
inserts and deletes are routed to the correct table (let's call it
fragment).

Andreas

Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] TIME QUALIFICATION
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] TIME QUALIFICATION