Re: a few thoughts on the schedule

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: a few thoughts on the schedule
Дата
Re: a few thoughts on the schedule  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> Let me put a finer point on this --- whatever gets pushed to 9.6
> unreasonably will be a feature we don't have in 9.5 and will discourage
> future development.  I know we can't do magic, but now is the time to
> try.

The other side of that coin is that the stuff that ends up getting pushed
will, in many cases, be stuff that nobody cared a whole lot about.

One thing that continues to bother me about the commitfest process is that
it's created a default expectation that things get committed eventually.
But many new ideas are just plain bad, and others are things that nobody
but the author cares about.  We need to remember that every new feature
we add creates an ongoing maintenance burden, and might foreclose better
ideas later.  I'd like to see a higher threshold for accepting feature
patches than we seem to have applied of late.