Re: tsearch in core patch

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: tsearch in core patch
Дата
Re: tsearch in core patch  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> I very much doubt that the different spanishes are any different in the
> stemming rules, so there's no need for es_ES, es_PE, es_AR, es_CL etc;
> but in the case of portuguese I'm not so sure.  Maybe there are other
> examples (like chinese, but I'm not sure how useful is tsearch for
> chinese).

> And the .ISO8859-1 part you don't need at all if you accept that the
> files are UTF8 by design, as Tom proposed.

Also, the problem we're dealing with here is mainly lack of
standardization of the encoding part of locale names.  AFAIK, just about
everybody agrees on "es_ES", "ru_RU", etc; it's the part that comes
after that (if any) that is not too consistent across platforms.
So I see no problem in distinguishing between pt_PT and pt_BR if it
turns out we have to.  The trick is to not look at any more of the
locale name than that; and if we standardize on "stopword files are
UTF8" then I don't think we need to.