Re: varlena beyond 1GB and matrix

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: varlena beyond 1GB and matrix
Дата
Re: varlena beyond 1GB and matrix  (Kohei KaiGai <kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp>)
Re: varlena beyond 1GB and matrix  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 8:50 AM, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai@kaigai.gr.jp> wrote:
>> I like to propose a new optional type handler 'typserialize' to
>> serialize an in-memory varlena structure (that can have indirect
>> references) to on-disk format.

> I think it's probably a mistake to conflate objects with substructure
> with objects > 1GB.  Those are two somewhat orthogonal needs.

Maybe.  I think where KaiGai-san is trying to go with this is being
able to turn an ExpandedObject (which could contain very large amounts
of data) directly into a toast pointer or vice versa.  There's nothing
really preventing a TOAST OID from having more than 1GB of data
attached, and if you had a side channel like this you could transfer
the data without ever having to form a larger-than-1GB tuple.

The hole in that approach, to my mind, is that there are too many places
that assume that they can serialize an ExpandedObject into part of an
in-memory tuple, which might well never be written to disk, or at least
not written to disk in a table.  (It might be intended to go into a sort
or hash join, for instance.)  This design can't really work for that case,
and unfortunately I think it will be somewhere between hard and impossible
to remove all the places where that assumption is made.

At a higher level, I don't understand exactly where such giant
ExpandedObjects would come from.  (As you point out, there's certainly
no easy way for a client to ship over the data for one.)  So this feels
like a very small part of a useful solution, if indeed it's part of a
useful solution at all, which is not obvious.

FWIW, ExpandedObjects themselves are far from a fully fleshed out
concept, one of the main problems being that they don't have very long
lifespans except in the case that they're the value of a plpgsql
variable.  I think we would need to move things along quite a bit in
that area before it would get to be useful to think in terms of
ExpandedObjects containing multiple GB of data.  Otherwise, the
inevitable flattenings and re-expansions are just going to kill you.

Likewise, the need for clients to be able to transfer data in chunks
gets pressing well before you get to 1GB.  So there's a lot here that
really should be worked on before we try to surmount that barrier.

Сообщение: Re: Back-patch use of unnamed POSIX semaphores for Linux?
Сообщение: Re: Back-patch use of unnamed POSIX semaphores for Linux?