Re: [RFC] Minmax indexes

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [RFC] Minmax indexes
Дата
Re: [RFC] Minmax indexes  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> To avoid this, a table having a minmax index would be
>> configured so that inserts only go to the page(s) at the end of the table; this
>> avoids frequent invalidation of ranges in the middle of the table.  We provide
>> a table reloption that tweaks the FSM behavior, so that summarized pages are
>> not candidates for insertion.

> We haven't had an index type which modifies table insertion behavior
> before, and I'm not keen to start now; imagine having two indexes on the
> same table each with their own, conflicting, requirements.

I agree; such a restriction is a nonstarter for a secondary index.  I
don't believe that hacking the FSM would be sufficient to guarantee the
required behavior, either.

We've talked a lot about index-organized tables in the past.  How much
of the use case for this would be subsumed by a feature like that?

Сообщение: Re: extensible external toast tuple support
Сообщение: Re: extensible external toast tuple support