Re: [HACKERS] Getting rid of "unknown error" in dblink and postgres_fdw

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Getting rid of "unknown error" in dblink and postgres_fdw
Дата
Re: [HACKERS] Getting rid of "unknown error" in dblink and postgres_fdw
Список pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> On 12/21/2016 08:49 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I propose that we should change that string to "could not obtain message
>> string for error on connection "foo"", or something along that line.
>>
>> postgres_fdw has the same disease.  It wouldn't have the notion of a named
>> connection, but maybe we could insert the foreign server name instead.

> Seems reasonable to me. I can work on it if you'd like. Do you think
> this should be backpatched?

If you have time for it, please do, I have lots on my plate already.

I'd vote for back-patching; the benefits of a clearer error message
are obvious, and it hardly seems likely that any existing applications
are depending on this specific error string.