Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fix up text concatenation so that it accepts all the reasonable

Markus Schiltknecht <markus@bluegap.ch> writes:
> Gregory Stark wrote:
>> Perhaps if you're doing some form of replication between different
>> architectures you might want to use binary representation for your transfers.
>> Or if you're doing something in a PL language like compressing or bundling up
>> multiple data in a container format or something.

> I'm not quite sure I understand where you're coming from, but isn't that
> what the send and recv functions for most data types are for? Don't
> those provide a cross-platform compatible binary representation?

I think you'd be nuts to bet your data on the binary representations
really being cross-platform compatible.  There might be some excuse for
doing this within a single architecture, but I can't get very excited
about it ...