Re: [HACKERS] Fwd: Joins and links

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Fwd: Joins and links
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Leon <leon@udmnet.ru> writes:
>  We should make a real reference in one table to another! That
>  means there could be special data type called, say, "link",
>  which is a physical record number in the foreign table.

There is no such thing as a physical record number for a tuple in
Postgres.  The closest you could come is an OID, which isn't really any
faster than any other joinable field --- you still need an index to
support fast lookup by OID.

If we did have such a concept, the speed penalties for supporting
hard links from one tuple to another would be enormous.  Every time
you change a tuple, you'd have to try to figure out what other tuples
reference it, and update them all.

Finally, I'm not convinced that the results would be materially faster
than a standard mergejoin (assuming that you have indexes on both the
fields being joined) or hashjoin (in the case that one table is small
enough to be loaded into memory).