Re: Optimization in convert_string_datum?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Optimization in convert_string_datum?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> I'm reviewing the strxfrm patch, and while comparing that code to the
> code in varstr_cmp (which uses the same UTF8/UTF16 workaround but for
> strcoll instead), and I noticed that in varstr_cmp we have an
> optimization to use a stack based buffer instead of palloc if the string
> is short enough. Is convert_string_datum performance-critical enough to
> make it worthwhile to put a similar optimization there?

No, I don't believe so.  It should only get invoked a few times per
query at most, since only the planner uses it.

It would be far more useful to figure out a way to make that code
actually do something sane with multibyte encodings than to
micro-optimize what's there.