Re: New server to improve performance on our large and busy DB - advice? (v2)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: New server to improve performance on our large and busy DB - advice? (v2)
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Richard Broersma <richard.broersma@gmail.com> writes:
> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Tony McC <afmcc@btinternet.com> wrote:
>>> most stable platform for that RDBMS. For Oracle, that's HP-UX (but 10
>>> years ago, it was Solaris). For PostgreSQL, it's Linux.

>> I am interested in this response and am wondering if this is just
>> Dave's opinion or some sort of official PostgreSQL policy.

>> I really don't want to start a Linux vs
>> FreeBSD flame war (I like Linux and use that too, though not for
>> database use), I am just intrigued by the claim that Linux is somehow
>> the natural OS for running PostgreSQL.

> I would wager that this response is a tad flame-bait-"ish".

Indeed.  It's certainly not "project policy".

Given the Linux kernel hackers' apparent disinterest in fixing their
OOM kill policy or making write barriers work well (or at all, with
LVM), I think arguing that Linux is the best database platform requires
a certain amount of suspension of disbelief.