Re: Frontend error logging style

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Frontend error logging style
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Several programs wrap, say, pg_log_fatal() into a pg_fatal(), that does
> logging, cleanup, and exit, as the case may be.  I think that's a good
> solution.

I agree, and my draft patch formalized that by turning pg_log_fatal into
exactly that.

The question that I think is relevant here is what is the point of
labeling errors as "error:" or "fatal:" if we're not going to make any
serious attempt to make that distinction meaningful.  I'm not really
buying your argument that it's fine as-is.  Anybody who thinks that
there's a difference is going to be very confused by the behavior they
observe.  But, if we all know there's no difference, why have the
difference?