Re: Inefficient query plan

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Inefficient query plan
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
> Hmm, I'm placing bets on the bpchar weirdness.  I'd try getting rid of
> that and using plain varchar for all the columns.

That's certainly what's inhibiting it from considering an indexscan
on the larger table.  I'm not as convinced as the OP that a nestloop
indexscan is really going to win compared to the hash plan, but if
the comparison value is varchar then an index on a bpchar column
is simply not useful --- at least not unless you stick an explicit
cast into the query, so that the comparison will have bpchar rather
than varchar semantics.