Re: Time to drop plpython2?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Time to drop plpython2?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On 2021-11-14 21:24:31 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> (It's likely that some fraction of them do already have python3 installed,
>> in which case the search order change Peter recommended would be enough to
>> fix it.  But I'm sure not all do.)

> How about committing the order change alone? That seems like something
> warranted completely in isolation? Afterwards we can see how many run what and
> go from there?

I don't think that's warranted.  The existing design is that we let
the user say which python is "python", and I do not think we should
change that in advance of actually dropping python2 support.

I was wondering about simply probing to see if python3 exists (and if
so, what version it is exactly), as an additional configure test that
doesn't hook into anything.  That would give us some information without
suddenly changing what is being tested.