Re: problematic upgrade

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: problematic upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
"Jeff Flowers" <duckfoo@fastmail.fm> writes:
> I know that there are a few ways to back up a PostgreSQL database but is
> there any one method that is generally recommended above others?

You can either use pg_dump or do filesystem backups *with the postmaster
stopped*.  See the Administrator's Guide:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/backup.html
PG 8.0 will allow a third basic approach, on-line backup:
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/backup.html

The "File system level backup" subsection in that chapter explains why
piecemeal copying of data files (which is what I understood Marcin to
say his friend did) doesn't work.  Add to that the issues associated
with a cross-version changeover (such as, usually, changes in system
catalog contents and layout), and I'm amazed that the thing appeared
to work at all.