Do we still need PowerPC-specific timestamp_is_current/epoch?

От Tom Lane
Тема Do we still need PowerPC-specific timestamp_is_current/epoch?
Дата
Re: Do we still need PowerPC-specific timestamp_is_current/epoch?  (Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii@sra.co.jp>)
Список pgsql-hackers
At the end of backend/utils/adt/datetime.c, there is some fairly ugly
code that is conditionally compiled on

#if defined(linux) && defined(__powerpc__)

Do we still need this?  The standard versions of TIMESTAMP_IS_CURRENT
and TIMESTAMP_IS_EPOCH appear to work just fine on my Powerbook G3
running Linux 2.2.18 (LinuxPPC 2000 Q4 distro).

I see from the CVS logs that Tatsuo originally introduced this code
on 1997/07/29 (at the time it lived in dt.c and was called
datetime_is_current & datetime_is_epoch).  I suppose that it must have
been meant to work around some bug in old versions of gcc for PPC.
But it seems to me to be a net decrease in portability --- it's assuming
that the symbolic constants DBL_MIN and -DBL_MIN will produce particular
bit patterns --- so I'd like to remove it unless someone knows of a
recent Linux/PPC release that still needs it.