Re: Upgrading from 7.3.6 to 7.4.2 pg_dumpall question

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Upgrading from 7.3.6 to 7.4.2 pg_dumpall question
Дата
Список pgsql-general
"Patrick Hatcher" <PHatcher@macys.com> writes:
> Finally getting around to upgrading to 7.4.2 from 7.3.6.  I thought I read
> somewhere that for this upgrade, it would be advantageous to use pg_dumpall
> from the 7.4..x version versus using the version for 7.3.x..  Is that
> correct?

In any upgrade (since 7.0, or whenever it was that we started making
pg_dump able to cope with prior versions), it's considered good practice
to use the later pg_dump if you conveniently can.  The idea is that this
gets you the benefit of any bug fixes that have appeared in the newer
pg_dump version.

I don't recall at this late hour whether there are any specific bugs
that would make this consideration important for 7.3.6 versus 7.4.2.
But on general principles, I'd recommend doing it that way.