Re: Invalid user-level setting = confusing error message

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Invalid user-level setting = confusing error message
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Thom Brown <thom@linux.com> writes:
> At the moment, if we try to set up a configuration parameter for a
> user which doesn't make sense in that context, we get an error message
> that doesn't really tell us that we're not allowed to set it for
> users:
> # ALTER ROLE moo SET log_line_prefix = '%s';
> ERROR:  parameter "log_line_prefix" cannot be changed now
> Might I propose an alternative error message for user-level
> configuration changes that target parameters of level sighup and
> above?
> Perhaps something like:
> ERROR: parameter "log_line_prefix" cannot be set at the user level.

I don't object in principle to having multiple phrasings of that
error message, but I do not see that "at the user level" is any
clearer than what we've got now.  What's a "user level"?

Something along the line of "cannot be changed within individual
sessions" might work better, or maybe not.  Let the bikeshedding
begin ...

Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add some isolation tests for deadlock detection and resolution.
Сообщение: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add some isolation tests for deadlock detection and resolution.