Re: Fix output of zero privileges in psql

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Fix output of zero privileges in psql
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2023-10-23 at 08:35 -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> I tend to prefer the argument that these views are for human consumption and should
> be designed with that in mind.

True, although given the shape of ACLs, it takes a somewhat trained human to
consume the string representation.  But we won't be able to hide the fact that
default ACLs are NULL in the catalogs.  We can leave them empty, we can show
them as "(default)" or we can let the user choose with "\pset null".

> I would suggest that we make the expected presence of NULL as an input explicit:
> I would offer up:
>
> when spcacl is null then '(default)'

Noted.

> along with not translating (none) and (default) and thus making the data contents
> of these views environment independent.  But minimizing the variance of these command's
> output across systems doesn't seem like a design goal that is likely to gain consensus
> and is excessive when viewed within the framework of these being only for human consumption.

I didn't understand this completely.  You want default privileges displayed as
"(default)", but are you for or against "\pset null" to have its normal effect on
the output of backslash commands in all other cases?

Speaking of consensus, it seems to me that Tom, Erik and me are in consensus.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe