Re: Managing multiple branches in git

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Managing multiple branches in git
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
> On Jun 2, 2009, at 3:56 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Meanwhile, there seem to have been ten different solutions proposed to
>> the problem of working with multiple branches/checkouts, and I plead
>> confusion.  Anyone want to try to sort out the pluses and minuses?

> If the whole purpose of you committing all backpatches to CVS in a
> single commit is to get a simpler cvs2cl history, you can easily do
> that with a single clone of the entire history in Git, commit each
> branch separately but with the same commit message, and then, yeah,
> someone will be able to provide a report that filters out the
> duplicate messages appropriately, I have little doubt.

I think you missed the part of the discussion about not wishing to share
a single working directory across all the branches.  The time to rebuild
derived files whenever I switch branches is simply too great with that
approach.  I want a working copy per branch, and some
not-impossibly-complicated scheme for managing the pulls/commits/pushes
given that environment.