Re: PostgreSQL configuration

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PostgreSQL configuration
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> On Thu, 2004-04-08 at 09:49, pgsql@mohawksoft.com wrote:
>> (2) I would bet that *most* deployments of PostgreSQL only use one
>> database environment per server, so I'm not even sure that it would be an
>> issue for the majority of current or prospective users.

> except that when doing major version upgrades, i find it far better
> practice to install multiple versions on the machine whenever possible,
> even if you only intend to run a single version.

In any case, you will never get such a proposal past the core
developers, because we all run multiple PG installs per machine.
My primary development machine currently has six postmasters alive
on it (7.0, 7.1, ..., 7.4 + CVS tip); my alternate machine has five
installations on it, though not all are alive since I've not had reason
to restart them all since last reboot; even the laptop I'm physically
typing on right now has more than one Postgres installation on it.
And practically any time someone allows me access to a machine of
theirs to check out some kind of portability issue, I'll build a test
installation in my guest-account home directory, rather than muck with
their live server.

So, don't bother proposing anything that makes it even slightly harder
to run multiple servers per machine.  It will not happen.  End of
discussion.