Re: [REVIEW] Re: Fix xpath() to return namespace definitions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [REVIEW] Re: Fix xpath() to return namespace definitions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

>> As I understand it, back-patches are the committer's responsibility.
>> The submitter might make suggestions as to how this might be
>> approached if it doesn't appear trivial.

> TBH, I would imagine that patches that can be applied to back-branches
> are a better start point than plain scratch particularly if there are
> diffs in stable branches compared to HEAD. Everybody's time is
> important.

Yeah --- and I'd argue that it's largely a waste of time to work on
creating back-branch patches until the HEAD patch is in final form.
Since we've generally reserved the right for the committer to whack
patches around before committing, I think this means the committer
also has to do the work of back-patch adjustment.

Now a committer who doesn't feel like doing that could certainly say
"here's the version of the HEAD patch that I'm willing to commit, but
it doesn't apply cleanly in back branches; could you work up back-branch
equivalents?".  But that hasn't been the usual approach.