Re: [BUGS] user authentication crash by Erik Luke (20-08-2001; 1.3kb)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [BUGS] user authentication crash by Erik Luke (20-08-2001; 1.3kb)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Thomas Yackel" <yackelt@ohsu.edu> writes:
> I got the error: "Bad abstime external representation ''" when attempted to start psql as a particular user and the
postmastershutdown.

> The problem, we discovered, is that this user had a carriage return contained within his password.  Changing the
passwordto remove the CR avoided the system shutdown.

Hmm.  I can see how a linefeed in a password would create a problem (it
breaks the line-oriented formatting of the pg_pwd file).  However, I
can't reproduce a postmaster crash here.  Either I'm not testing the
right combination of circumstances, or current sources are more robust
about this than 7.1.  That's not unlikely given that Bruce rewrote the
password-file-parsing code a couple months ago.

In any case it seems like it'd be a good idea to forbid nonprinting
characters in passwords.  Comments anyone?

От: Olivier PRENANT
Сообщение: Re: Regression error on unixware 7 and open unix 8
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Warnings in CVS build