Re: Question about contrib

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Question about contrib
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume@lelarge.info> writes:
> Le lun. 19 avr. 2021 à 10:43, Condor <condor@stz-bg.com> a écrit :
>> Aha my mistake, sorry. Why is not in main tree then ?

> Because they aren't interesting for everyone. Moreover, some are more dev
> tools, than DBA tools. So better to pick the tools you need.

Actually I think the high-level answer is that the contrib modules
exist to verify that Postgres is extensible, and to provide sample
code for other people wanting to make extensions.  It's great that
they have actual use cases, but we'd keep them even if they didn't.

While they're all nominally supported, some are old, crufty, and
deprecated to various extents.  xml2, in particular, might go away
someday.