Re: Change sort order on UUIDs?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Change sort order on UUIDs?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> I believe he means that with his modified comparison function, when
> inserting a series of UUIDs with increasing time-fields, the index keys
> are always inserted to the rightmost page, which gives a more tightly
> packed index than scattered inserts all-around the index.

Hm.  Still, given that that benefit would only accrue for one version of
uuid generation, it's a pretty weak argument.

The concrete reason for not changing it is that the sort ordering of
uuids would then look quite unnatural compared to the display format.
Which would provoke confusion and bug reports...

Сообщение: Re: Change sort order on UUIDs?
Сообщение: Re: Change sort order on UUIDs?