Using PostgreSQL for NSS databases

От Daniel Popowich
Тема Using PostgreSQL for NSS databases
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I'm making this post here in hopes I may save someone from beating
their head against the wall like I did...

I am writing a custom Name Service Switch (NSS) module to take
advantage of already existing account information in a pg database.

Under certain circumstances, processes will hang due to non-recursive
mutex locking during PG connection creation.  It goes something like
this:

/etc/nsswitch.conf:

  passwd:      files mypgmod
  group:      files mypgmod

  [process with euid not found in /etc/passwd, looking up another
  username not found in /etc/passwd]

  getpwnam_r(username, ...)

    // nss doesn't find user in files module (/etc/passwd),
    // so uses mypgmod

    _nss_mypgmod_getpwnam_r(username, ...)

    pthread_mutex_lock(...) //to protect PG connection, then...
    PQconnectdb(...)

        // any number of reasons to look up info in calling user's
        // home directory, e.g., default password, ssl certs, etc.,
        // resulting in call to getpwuid_r() to find user's homedir.

        getpwuid_r(geteuid(), ...)

        // nss doesn't find user in files module (/etc/passwd),
        // so uses mypgmod

        _nss_mypgmod_getpwuid_r(uid, ...)

            pthread_mutex_lock(...) //to protect PG connection
            /* HANG */

* * *

The "fix," if you can call it that, is to run nscd, the NSS caching
daemon.  Typically run as root (with account info in /etc/passwd) the
second lookup will not generate a second connection attempt.

Also, there exists in many linux distros a libnss-pgsql2 package which
suffers from the exact same problem (there are some scattered posts on
the 'net about it).  Same "fix" ... run nscd.

Cheers,

Daniel Popowich