Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW

От Tomas Vondra
Тема Re: Performance degradation of REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/24/21 8:21 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 2021-05-24 12:37:18 +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:
>> Another option might be changes in the binary layout - 5% change is well
>> within the range that could be attributed to this, but it feels very
>> hand-wavy and more like an excuse than real analysis.
>
> I don't think 5% is likely to be explained by binary layout unless you
> look for an explicitly adverse layout.

Yeah, true. But I'm out of ideas what might be causing the regression
and how to fix it :-(

>> Hmmm, thanks for reminding us that patch. Why did we reject that approach in
>> favor of the current one?
>
> Don't know about others, but I think it's way too fragile.

Is it really that fragile? Any particular risks you have in mind? Maybe
we could protect against that somehow ... Anyway, that change would
certainly be for PG15.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra