Re: Can we revisit the thought of PostgreSQL 7.2.4?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Can we revisit the thought of PostgreSQL 7.2.4?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
"Ross J. Reedstrom" <reedstrm@rice.edu> writes:
> On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 09:55:25PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> If we can get them all, it is a big win.  If we can't, I don't think it
>> is a win.

> In the context of backporting, this is true, but in general, if you
> don't worry about putting locks on any of the doors, because there are
> other ones open, you _never_ get them all.

We certainly are trying to get them all going forward.  The issue here
is what is reasonable to back-patch into 7.2 (or 7.3), given the ground
rules that we can no longer force an initdb for users of those releases.
Those ground rules mean that some bugs are unfixable in those releases.

How hard should we try to back-patch fixes for fixable bugs of severity
comparable to the unfixable bugs?  Before you answer, consider that any
time spent doing so takes away from current/future development work;
"fix it without regard to cost" is not really a defensible stance.