Re: port _srv.o makefile rules don't observe dependency tracking

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: port _srv.o makefile rules don't observe dependency tracking
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Excerpts from Tom Lane's message of mar may 01 16:25:07 -0400 2012:
>> Are there, or might there be in the future, any "port" files that only
>> exist in server flavor and not client-side flavor?

> Now, there is someone with a patch that duplicates some libpq code into
> psql (pqSocketPoll I think it is) and I was considering suggesting that
> instead of exporting the libpq function, the implementation could be put
> in a src/port/ file instead, so that psql can also use it.  I'm not sure
> if that's really a good idea but if so it would be a first file to be
> only in -DFRONTEND form.

Offhand it seems to me that anything that can be built with -DFRONTEND
should be buildable without, so the worst possible consequence here is
having an unused member of libpgport_srv.a.  I was worried about the
other way around, where we have something that (say) depends on elog
or palloc and so can't be built at all in frontend form.  I guess you
could argue that any such code ought not be in src/port/ in the first
place.

Anyway, I'm not objecting to the patch, just raising something to
consider.  If it doesn't bother anybody, let's go with this.