Re: Common table expressions and threaded comments

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Common table expressions and threaded comments
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Cultural Sublimation <cultural_sublimation@yahoo.com> writes:
> I need to implement the classical problem of threaded comments in a Postgresql
> database.  I know that the upcoming 8.4 release includes Common Table
> Expressions, so I have to ask: is this feature the mother-of-all-solutions
> to the threaded comments problem, or is it still worth investigating ltree?

I don't think you should take CTEs as being the be-all and end-all of
solutions in this area (or any other).  In particular I'd be suspicious
about the performance of a CTE-based solution.  CTEs are new in 8.4 and
we have done essentially zero optimization work on them.  I honestly
doubt if they will be able to match the performance of a single-purpose
solution such as ltree, even after a few years of optimization work.