Re: tablespaces a priority for 7.5?

От Brian Maguire
Тема Re: tablespaces a priority for 7.5?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I agree that RAID provides similar performance benifits especially with striping io benifits, however it is powerful
andideal to have both options.  For example you may have a set of tables that are read-only for reporting and another
setmostly write only.   You could have they resting on different raid configurations ideal for each situtation.

I also agree there are several admin benifits in the areas of backup.  You can also more easily create different
frequency/schedulesof backup for certain critical tables to a different schedule than other less important tables.
Theflexibility of easily growing your database beyond the current disk because of size limitations can be a life
savior.

brian

    -----Original Message-----
    From: lnd@hnit.is [mailto:lnd@hnit.is]
    Sent: Wed 1/21/2004 12:22 PM
    To: Brian Maguire
    Subject: RE: [GENERAL] tablespaces a priority for 7.5?

    In RAID era tablespaces are not such important regarding performance.

    But for backup/restore - the ability to backup/restore selected tablespaces
    while leaving other tablespaces is a big thing.
    The whole point here is: it is assumed that backup/restore of tablespaces can
    hapen quite quickly and as simple as to copy tablespace files from one
    location to another(even while database is on - WAL can be used to handle
    this) - this is compared to dump.

    For example, index, tempoarary data tablespaces can be lost - not a big deal.

    Undo(rollback) tablespaces - in a way can be lost as well.
    While system data tablespace (table structure, stored procedures, etc) - at
    no cost should be lost.
    The same way application can be devided in "critical" and "not critical"
    tablespaces and their backups maintained accordingly. For example, it may not
    be a big deal to lose year 1996 tables while year 2004 tables should be
    online.

    Laimis