Re: pgsql_fdw, FDW for PostgreSQL server

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: pgsql_fdw, FDW for PostgreSQL server
Дата
Re: pgsql_fdw, FDW for PostgreSQL server
Список pgsql-hackers
> 2011/10/25 Shigeru Hanada <shigeru.hanada@gmail.com>:
>> I'd like to propose pgsql_fdw, FDW for external PostgreSQL server, as a
>> contrib module. �I think that this module would be the basis of further
>> SQL/MED development for core, e.g. join-push-down and ANALYZE support.

> I have not looked at the code itself, but I wonder if we shouldn't
> consider making this a part of core-proper, not just a contrib module.
> The fact that it isn't *already* available in core surprises a lot of
> people...

We've just spent a whole lot of blood and sweat on making the extension
mechanism work nicely.  I don't understand this urge to not use it.

ATM I'm not sure it's even a good idea to push pgsql_fdw into contrib.
Once we do that its release schedule will get locked to core's ---
wouldn't it be better to keep flexibility for now, while it's in such
active development?