Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Release note trimming: another modest proposal
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz@postgresql.org> writes:
> On 2/5/19 9:12 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Anyway, if people want something resembling the old presentation,
>> I think the way to get there is to have some sort of aggregate
>> release notes in a separate place on the web site.  We'd discussed
>> that briefly upthread, but no one's volunteered to push it through.

> I do have one patch for exactly that. Magnus and I disagreed on the
> implementation, perhaps we can circle back around and find something we
> both agree on.

If we do get something like that set up, I'd be inclined to replace
the branch-varying "Prior Releases" text I put into release.sgml
with a single pointer to that.

BTW, while we're thinking about this --- I remembered that as things
stand, we've broken my historical practice of putting up first-draft
minor release notes for people to look at if they choose.  Those will
now be in the newest back branch, which we don't have an automatic
build-and-post pipeline for, AFAIK.  Now, maybe the people who would
review those notes are all comfortable with looking at the git
commitdiff anyway.  But somebody who preferred to wait for the next
guaibasaurus run and then look at the website is now out of luck.
Would it be possible to drive this aggregation off the git copies
of release-NN.sgml (from appropriate branches) instead of the last
released versions?  Or set up something equivalent to the devel
notes pipeline for back branches?