Re: Using LibPq in TAP tests via FFI

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Using LibPq in TAP tests via FFI
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2024-Jun-17, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 2024-06-17 Mo 5:07 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > You made this function join the tuples from multiple queries together,
> > but the output format doesn't show anything for queries that return
> > empty.  I think this strategy doesn't cater for the case of comparing
> > results from multiple queries very well, because it might lead to sets
> > of queries that return empty result for different queries reported as
> > identical when they aren't.  Maybe add a separator line between the
> > results from each query, when there's more than one?  (Perhaps just
> > "join('--\n', @results)" in that last line does the trick?)
>
> psql doesn't do that, and this is designed to mimic psql's behaviour. We
> could change that of course. I suspect none of the uses expect empty
> resultsets, so it's probably somewhat moot.

True -- I guess my comment should really be directed to the original
coding of the test in test_index_replay.  I think adding the separator
line makes it more trustworthy.

Probably you're right that the current code of in-core tests don't care
about this, but if we export this technique to the world, I'm sure
somebody somewhere is going to care.

"The Gord often wonders why people threaten never to come back after they've
been told never to return" (www.actsofgord.com)