Re: Using LibPq in TAP tests via FFI

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Using LibPq in TAP tests via FFI
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2024-06-14 11:11:38 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 2024-06-14 Fr 11:09, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > Over at [1] Andres expressed enthusiasm for enabling TAP tests to call
> > LibPQ directly via FFI, and there was some support from others as well.
> > Attached is a very rough POC for just that.There are two perl modules,
> > one which wraps libpq (or almost all of it) in perl, and another which
> > uses that module to create a session object that can be used to run SQL.

What are your current thoughts about a fallback for this?  It seems possible
to implement the session module ontop of BackgroundPsql.pm, if necessary. But
I suspect we'll eventually get to a point where that gets less and less
convenient.

How much of a dependency is FFI::Platypus, compared to requiring perl headers
to be installed?  In case FFI::Platypus is a complicted dependency, a small XS
wrapper could be an alternative.

Greetings,

Andres Freund