Re: Compress ReorderBuffer spill files using LZ4

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Compress ReorderBuffer spill files using LZ4
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2024-Jun-07, Dilip Kumar wrote:

> I think the compression option should be supported at the CREATE
> SUBSCRIPTION level instead of being controlled by a GUC. This way, we
> can decide on compression for each subscription individually rather
> than applying it to all subscribers. It makes more sense for the
> subscriber to control this, especially when we are planning to
> compress the data sent downstream.

True.  (I think we have some options that are in GUCs for the general
behavior and can be overridden by per-subscription options for specific
tailoring; would that make sense here?  I think it does, considering
that what we mostly want is to save disk space in the publisher when
spilling to disk.)

"I can't go to a restaurant and order food because I keep looking at the
fonts on the menu.  Five minutes later I realize that it's also talking
about food" (Donald Knuth)