Re: Popcount optimization using AVX512

От Nathan Bossart
Тема Re: Popcount optimization using AVX512
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Apr 06, 2024 at 12:08:14PM +1300, David Rowley wrote:
> Won't Valgrind complain about this?
>
> +pg_popcount_avx512(const char *buf, int bytes)
>
> + buf = (const char *) TYPEALIGN_DOWN(sizeof(__m512i), buf);
>
> + val = _mm512_maskz_loadu_epi8(mask, (const __m512i *) buf);

I haven't been able to generate any complaints, at least with some simple
tests.  But I see your point.  If this did cause such complaints, ISTM we'd
just want to add it to the suppression file.  Otherwise, I think we'd have
to go back to the non-maskz approach (which I really wanted to avoid
because of the weird function overhead juggling) or find another way to do
a partial load into an __m512i.

--
Nathan Bossart