Re: BitmapHeapScan streaming read user and prelim refactoring

От Melanie Plageman
Тема Re: BitmapHeapScan streaming read user and prelim refactoring
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Apr 05, 2024 at 04:06:34AM -0400, Melanie Plageman wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 04, 2024 at 04:35:45PM +0200, Tomas Vondra wrote:

> > > Attached v13 is rebased over master (which includes the streaming read
> > > API now). I also reset the streaming read object on rescan instead of
> > > creating a new one each time.
> > >
> > > I don't know how much chance any of this has of going in to 17 now, but
> > > I thought I would start looking into the regression repro Tomas provided
> > > in [1].
> > >

> > My personal opinion is that we should try to get in as many of the the
> > refactoring patches as possible, but I think it's probably too late for
> > the actual switch to the streaming API.
>
> Cool. In the attached v15, I have dropped all commits that are related
> to the streaming read API and included *only* commits that are
> beneficial to master. A few of the commits are merged or reordered as
> well.
>
> While going through the commits with this new goal in mind (forget about
> the streaming read API for now), I realized that it doesn't make much
> sense to just eliminate the layering violation for the current block and
> leave it there for the prefetch block. I had de-prioritized solving this
> when I thought we would just delete the prefetch code and replace it
> with the streaming read.
>
> Now that we aren't doing that, I've spent the day trying to resolve the
> issues with pushing the prefetch code into heapam.c that I cited in [1].
> 0010 - 0013 are the result of this. They are not very polished yet and
> need more cleanup and review (especially 0011, which is probably too
> large), but I am happy with the solution I came up with.
>
> Basically, there are too many members needed for bitmap heap scan to put
> them all in the HeapScanDescData (don't want to bloat it). So, I've made
> a new BitmapHeapScanDescData and associated begin/rescan/end() functions
>
> In the end, with all patches applied, BitmapHeapNext() loops invoking
> table_scan_bitmap_next_tuple() and table AMs can implement that however
> they choose.
>
> > > I'm also not sure if I should try and group the commits into fewer
> > > commits now or wait until I have some idea of whether or not the
> > > approach in 0013 and 0014 is worth pursuing.
> > >

> > You mean whether to pursue the approach in general, or for v17? I think
> > it looks like the right approach, but for v17 see above :-(
> >
> > As for merging, I wouldn't do that. I looked at the commits and while
> > some of them seem somewhat "trivial", I really like how you organized
> > the commits, and kept those that just "move" code around, and those that
> > actually change stuff. It's much easier to understand, IMO.
> >
> > I went through the first ~10 commits, and added some review - either as
> > a separate commit, when possible, in the code as XXX comment, and also
> > in the commit message. The code tweaks are utterly trivial (whitespace
> > or indentation to make the line shorter). It shouldn't take much time to
> > deal with those, I think.

> [...]

In attached v16, I've split out 0010-0013 into 0011-0017. I think it is
much easier to understand.

While I was doing that, I realized that I should remove the call to
table_rescan() from ExecReScanBitmapHeapScan() and just rely on the new
table_rescan_bm() invoked from BitmapHeapNext(). That is done in the
attached.

0010-0018 still need comments updated but I focused on getting the split
out, reviewable version of them ready. I'll add comments (especially to
0011 table AM functions) tomorrow. I also have to double-check if I
should add any asserts for table AMs about having implemented all of the
new begin/re/endscan() functions.

- Melanie

Вложения