Re: glibc qsort() vulnerability

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: glibc qsort() vulnerability
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2024-02-12 17:04:23 -0600, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2024 at 01:31:30PM -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
> > One thing that's worth checking is if this ends up with *worse* code when the
> > comparators are inlined. I think none of the changed comparators will end up
> > getting used with an inlined sort, but ...
>
> Yeah, AFAICT the only inlined sorts are in tuplesort.c and bufmgr.c, and
> the patches don't touch those files.
>
> > The reason we could end up with worse code is that when inlining the
> > comparisons would make less sense for the compiler. Consider e.g.
> >     return DO_COMPARE(a, b) < 0 ?
> >         (DO_COMPARE(b, c) < 0 ? b : (DO_COMPARE(a, c) < 0 ? c : a))
> >         : (DO_COMPARE(b, c) > 0 ? b : (DO_COMPARE(a, c) < 0 ? a : c));
> >
> > With a naive implementation the compiler will understand it only cares about
> > a < b, not about the other possibilities. I'm not sure that's still true with
> > the more complicated optimized version.
>
> You aren't kidding [0].  Besides perhaps adding a comment in
> sort_template.h, is there anything else you think we should do about this
> now?

I'd add also a comment to the new functions. I think it's fine otherwise. I
wish there were formulation that'd be optimal for both cases, but this way we
can at least adapt all places at once if either find a better formulation or
change all our sorts to happen via an inline implementation of qsort or such.

Greetings,

Andres

Сообщение: Re: Improve WALRead() to suck data directly from WAL buffers when possible
Сообщение: Re: Improve WALRead() to suck data directly from WAL buffers when possible