Re: glibc qsort() vulnerability

От Nathan Bossart
Тема Re: glibc qsort() vulnerability
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Feb 06, 2024 at 10:11:16AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Mats Kindahl <mats@timescale.com> writes:
>> There is a bug in glibc's qsort() algorithm that runs the risk of creating
>> an out-of-bounds error if the comparison function is not transitive, for
>> example, if subtraction is used so that it can create an overflow.
>
> We don't use glibc's qsort.  Have you checked whether there's a
> problem with the code we do use?

Oh, interesting.  I didn't know that!  As of commit 6edd2b4, we've used an
in-tree qsort() for everything.  port.h has the following line:

    #define qsort(a,b,c,d) pg_qsort(a,b,c,d)

I see a handful of callers that use pg_qsort() directly, which IMO is odd.
I would've expected that to be something different if I didn't know about
that macro.  Maybe we should change those to qsort()...

Even if the glibc issue doesn't apply to Postgres, I'm tempted to suggest
that we make it project policy that comparison functions must be
transitive.  There might be no real issues today, but if we write all
comparison functions the way Mats is suggesting, it should be easier to
reason about overflow risks.

--
Nathan Bossart