Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Add non-blocking version of PQcancel

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: Add non-blocking version of PQcancel
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2024-Feb-02, Jelte Fennema-Nio wrote:

> The only reasonable thing I can think of to make that situation better
> is to move that part of the function outside of PQcancelPoll and
> create a dedicated PQcancelStart function for it. It introduces an
> extra function, but it does seem more in line with how we do the
> regular connection establishment. Basically you would have code like
> this then, which looks quite nice honestly:
>
>     cancelConn = PQcancelConn(conn);
>     if (!PQcancelStart(cancelConn))
>         pg_fatal("bad cancel connection: %s", PQcancelErrorMessage(cancelConn));
>     while (true)
>     {
>          // polling using PQcancelPoll here
>     }

Maybe this is okay?  I'll have a look at the whole final situation more
carefully later; or if somebody else wants to share an opinion, please
do so.

In the meantime I pushed your 0002 and 0003 patches, so you can take
this as an opportunity to rebase the remaining ones.

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster
 than society gathers wisdom."  (Isaac Asimov)