Re: Add system identifier to backup manifest

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Add system identifier to backup manifest
Дата
Re: Add system identifier to backup manifest  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2024-Jan-17, Amul Sul wrote:

> This helps to identify the correct database server and/or backup for the
> subsequent backup operations.  pg_verifybackup validates the manifest system
> identifier against the backup control file and fails if they don’t match.
> Similarly, pg_basebackup increment backup will fail if the manifest system
> identifier does not match with the server system identifier.  The
> pg_combinebackup is already a bit smarter -- checks the system identifier
> from
> the pg_control of all the backups, with this patch the manifest system
> identifier also validated.

Hmm, okay, but what if I take a full backup from a primary server and
later I want an incremental from a standby, or the other way around?
Will this prevent me from using such a combination?

"You're _really_ hosed if the person doing the hiring doesn't understand
relational systems: you end up with a whole raft of programmers, none of
whom has had a Date with the clue stick."              (Andrew Sullivan)
https://postgr.es/m/20050809113420.GD2768@phlogiston.dyndns.org