Re: introduce dynamic shared memory registry

От Nathan Bossart
Тема Re: introduce dynamic shared memory registry
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 10:28:29AM +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> I think it's better for GetNamedDSMSegment() to error out on empty
> 'name' and size 0. This makes the user-facing function
> GetNamedDSMSegment more concrete.

Agreed, thanks for the suggestion.

> +void *
> +GetNamedDSMSegment(const char *name, size_t size,
> +                   void (*init_callback) (void *ptr), bool *found)
>
> +    Assert(found);
>
> Why is input parameter 'found' necessary to be passed by the caller?
> Neither the test module added, nor the pg_prewarm is using the found
> variable. The function will anyway create the DSM segment if one with
> the given name isn't found. IMO, found is an optional parameter for
> the caller. So, the assert(found) isn't necessary.

The autoprewarm change (0003) does use this variable.  I considered making
it optional (i.e., you could pass in NULL if you didn't want it), but I
didn't feel like the extra code in GetNamedDSMSegment() to allow this was
worth it so that callers could avoid creating a single bool.

--
Nathan Bossart

Вложения