Re: Add PQsendSyncMessage() to libpq

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Add PQsendSyncMessage() to libpq
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2024-Jan-15, Michael Paquier wrote:

Looks good!  Just some small notes,

> +/*
> + * Wrapper for PQpipelineSync and PQsendPipelineSync.
>   *
>   * It's legal to start submitting more commands in the pipeline immediately,
>   * without waiting for the results of the current pipeline. There's no need to

the new function pqPipelineSyncInternal is not a wrapper for these other
two functions -- the opposite is true actually.  We tend to use the term
"workhorse" or "internal workhorse" for this kind of thing.

In the docs, after this patch we have

- PQpipelineSync
- PQsendFlushRequest
- PQsendPipelineSync

Wouldn't it make more sense to add the new function in the middle of the
two existing ones instead?

Looking again at the largish comment that's now atop
pqPipelineSyncInternal(), I think most of it should be removed -- these
things should be explained in the SGML docs, and I think they are, in
the "Using Pipeline Mode" section.  We can just have the lines this
patch is adding.

"I can't go to a restaurant and order food because I keep looking at the
fonts on the menu.  Five minutes later I realize that it's also talking
about food" (Donald Knuth)