Re: initdb --no-locale=C doesn't work as specified when the environment is not C

От Kyotaro Horiguchi
Тема Re: initdb --no-locale=C doesn't work as specified when the environment is not C
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At Wed, 10 Jan 2024 18:16:03 -0500, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote in
> Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> writes:
> > It seems somewhat intentional that only lc_messages references the
> > environment at boot time. On the other hand, previously, in the
> > absence of a specified locale, initdb would embed the environmental
> > value in the configuration file, as it seems to be documented. Given
> > that initdb is always used for cluster creation, it's unlikey that
> > systems depend on this boot-time default for their operation.
>
> Yeah, after further reflection there doesn't seem to be a lot of value
> in leaving these entries commented-out, even in the cases where that's
> technically correct.  Let's just go back to the old behavior of always
> uncommenting them; that stood for years without complaints.  So I
> committed your latest patch as-is.

I'm glad you understand. Thank you for commiting.

> > By the way, the lines around lc_* in the sample file seem to have
> > somewhat inconsistent indentations. Wouldnt' it be preferable to fix
> > this? (The attached doesn't that.)
>
> They look all right if you assume the tab width is 8, which seems to
> be what is used elsewhere in the file.  I think there's been some
> prior discussion about whether to ban use of tabs at all in these
> sample files, so as to reduce confusion about how wide the tabs are.
> But I'm not touching that question today.

Ah, I see, I understood.

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center

От: Peter Smith
Сообщение: Re: Improve the connection failure error messages