Re: Add --check option to pgindent

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Add --check option to pgindent
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2023-Dec-12, Tom Lane wrote:

> "Euler Taveira" <euler@eulerto.com> writes:
> > When you add exceptions, it starts to complicate the UI.
>
> Indeed.  It seems like --silent-diff was poorly defined and poorly
> named, and we need to rethink that option along the way to adding
> this behavior.  The idea that --show-diff and --silent-diff can
> be used together is just inherently confusing, because they sound
> like opposites.

Maybe it's enough to rename --silent-diff to --check.  You can do
"--show-diff --check" and get both the error and the diff printed; or
just "--check" and it'll throw an error without further ado; or
"--show-diff" and it will both apply the diff and print it.

"I must say, I am absolutely impressed with what pgsql's implementation of
VALUES allows me to do. It's kind of ridiculous how much "work" goes away in
my code.  Too bad I can't do this at work (Oracle 8/9)."       (Tom Allison)
           http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2007-06/msg00016.php