Re: backtrace_on_internal_error

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: backtrace_on_internal_error
Дата
Re: backtrace_on_internal_error
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2023-12-08 13:23:50 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On 2023-12-08 10:05:09 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> ... there was already opinion upthread that this should be on by
> >> default, which I agree with.  You shouldn't be hitting cases like
> >> this commonly (if so, they're bugs to fix or the errcode should be
> >> rethought), and the failure might be pretty hard to reproduce.
>
> > FWIW, I did some analysis on aggregated logs on a larger number of machines,
> > and it does look like that'd be a measurable increase in log volume. There are
> > a few voluminous internal errors in core, but the bigger issue is
> > extensions. They are typically much less disciplined about assigning error
> > codes than core PG is.
>
> Well, I don't see much wrong with making a push to assign error codes
> to more calls.

Oh, very much agreed. But I suspect we won't quickly do the same for
out-of-core extensions...

> Certainly these SSL failures are not "internal" errors.
>
> > could not accept SSL connection: %m - with zero errno
> > I'm a bit confused about the huge number of "could not accept SSL connection:
> > %m" with a zero errno. I guess we must be clearing errno somehow, but I don't
> > immediately see where. Or perhaps we need to actually look at what
> > SSL_get_error() returns?
>
> Hmm, don't suppose you have a way to reproduce that?

After a bit of trying, yes.  I put an abort() into pgtls_open_client(), after
initialize_SSL(). Connecting does result in:

LOG:  could not accept SSL connection: Success

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: Bug in nbtree optimization to skip > operator comparisons (or < comparisons in backwards scans)
Сообщение: Re: Bug in nbtree optimization to skip > operator comparisons (or < comparisons in backwards scans)