Re: "name" vs "alias" in datatype table

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: "name" vs "alias" in datatype table
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 2023-Nov-29, Tom Lane wrote:

> Eric Hanson <eric@aquameta.com> writes:
> > The larger point being, the "name" vs "alias" paradigm presented in this
> > table does not accurately represent PostgreSQL, and conveys an inaccurate
> > picture of the relationship between type names.  int4 is not an "alias".
>
> I agree that this could be improved, mainly because it's far from
> clear what the internal name of each type is (and there's at least
> one case where the internal name is not shown at all).

Maybe we could split this into multiple *tables*.  The main one would be
what we already have except the aliases column is removed, and serial
types removed; the second table would list serial pseudo-types, without
aliases; the third one would have unofficial names (internal names and
other aliases) for types listed in the other two.

"The ability of users to misuse tools is, of course, legendary" (David Steele)
https://postgr.es/m/11b38a96-6ded-4668-b772-40f992132797@pgmasters.net

Сообщение: Re: "name" vs "alias" in datatype table
Сообщение: Re: "name" vs "alias" in datatype table