Re: New addition to the merge sql standard

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: New addition to the merge sql standard
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2023-Nov-16, Nick DeCoursin wrote:

> In my opinion, it would be better for merge to offer the functionality to
> simply ignore the rows that cause unique violation exceptions instead of
> tanking the whole query.

"ignore" may not be what you want, though.  Perhaps the fact that insert
(coming from the NOT MATCHED clause) fails (== conflicts with a tuple
concurrently inserted in an unique or exclusion constraint) should
transform the row operation into a MATCHED case, so it'd fire the other
clauses in the overall MERGE operation.  Then you could add a WHEN
MATCHED DO NOTHING case which does the ignoring that you want; or just
let them be handled by WHEN MATCHED UPDATE or whatever.  But you may
need some way to distinguish rows that appeared concurrently from rows
that were there all along.

In regards to the SQL standard, I hope what you're saying is merely not
documented by them.  If it indeed isn't, it may be possible to get them
to accept some new behavior, and then I'm sure we'd consider
implementing it.  If your suggestion goes against what they already
have, I'm afraid you'd be doomed.  So the next question is, how do other
implementations handle this case you're talking about?  SQL Server, DB2
and Oracle being the relevant ones.

Assuming the idea is good and there are no conflicts, then maybe it's
just lack of round tuits.

Happen to have some?

I vaguely recall thinking about this, and noticing that implementing
something of this sort would require messing around with the ExecInsert
interface.  It'd probably require splitting it in pieces, similar to how
ExecUpdate was split.

There are some comments in the code about possible "live-locks" where
merge would be eternally confused between inserting a new row which it
then wants to delete; or something like that.  For sure we would need to
understand the concurrent behavior of this new feature very clearly.

An interesting point is that our inserts *wait* to see whether the
concurrent insertion commits or aborts, when a unique constraint is
involved.  I'm not sure you want to have MERGE blocking on concurrent
inserts.  This is all assuming READ COMMITTED semantics; on REPEATABLE
READ or higher, I think you're just screwed, because of course MERGE is
not going to get a snapshot that sees the rows inserted by transactions
that started after.

You'd need to explore all this very carefully.